Succulent cubes of diced chicken put on bamboo skewers and grilled over charcoal, yakitori with teriyaki sauce are popular across the globe. The name literally means ‘grilled (yaki) chicken (tori)’ amf good yakitori bars in Japan are always crowded, with street food lovers washing down these delicious mini-kebabs with cold beers and sake. If you are thinking about barbecuing yakitori outdoors then, wait until the heat calms down for the best with results. Take time to cook them thoroughly by constantly turning the skewers.
– 250g chicken thigh ot breast
– 2tsp Yutaka soy sauce
– 2tsp Yutaka mirin
– 1tsp Yutaka cooking sake
– 1tsp sugar
– 6 bamboo skewers
How to prepare:
1. Make the teriyaki sauce by mixing the soy sauce, mirin, sake and sugar in a bowl.
2. Cut the chicken into small pieces of about 3cm2
3. Marinate the chicken in the sauce for at least 1 hour and in the meantime soak the skewers in water for 15 minutes before use to prevent them from burning under the grill.
4. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Thread the chicken pieces into the skewers to cook them in the oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Switch to grill to medium heat and cook for a further 1 and half minutes or until the skin crisps up. Serve immediately with sesame seeds and/or chilli powder.