Asparagus Rolls with Mayonnaise and Japanese Seven-Spice
May is the season for English asparagus. I often pick my own in the local PYO and steam them as soon as I get home. Fresh asparagus is so juicy and green, and it’s perfect for sushi rolls. Japanese seven-spice is a popular blend of chilli seasoning that typically includes red chili pepper, roasted orange peel, yellow and black sesame seeds, Japanese pepper, seaweed and ginger. A wonderful condiment to have in your cupboard, it is available to buy in Japanese supermarkets or online. The creamy, salty mayonnaise goes perfectly with the complex flavour of the seven spices for a perfect seasonal dish.
Makes 24 pieces of Sushi Roll
For the Sushi Rice:
● 150g Yutaka Sushi Rice Orijinario
● 1.5 tsp Yutaka Japanese Rice Vinegar
● 200ml Water ● ½ tsp Salt ● 1 tsp Sugar
＊ ＊ ＊
● 4 Steamed Asparagus Spears
● Yutaka Sushi Nori
● Yutaka Organic Tamari Soy Sauce
● Yutaka Bamboo Sushi Rolling Mat
● ½ tsp Japanese Seven-Spice
● 1 tsp Mayonnaise
How to prepare Sushi Rice:
1. Put the rice into a bowl and wash with cold water. Rince 3 or 4 times until the water becomes
clear and then drain in a sieve. Place the rice and 200ml of water into a saucepan, bring to boil
with the lid on using a high heat, then reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the
heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes, keeping the lid on.
2. Mix rice vinegar, sugar and salt together and fold into the cooked rice while still hot leave to
stand and cut the 2 seaweed sheets in half to make 4 pieces seaweed in half to make 4 half size
How to prepare the dish
1. Divide the rice into 4 equal portions. Spread a quarter of the rice on each piece of seaweed in a thin layer, leaving a 1cm gap at the top. Add mayonnaise and Japanese seven-spice lengthwise across the centre and place some asparagus just below the centre line.
2. Bring the closest side of the seaweed to the edge of the mat and carefully roll it up to enclose the ingredients, pressing down gently from the top and sides with both hands. Repeat the process to make 3 more rolls. Finally, cut each roll into 6 equal pieces. Start by cutting through the middle and then cut each half into 3 equal pieces. Serve with soy sauce.